I am going to have to do separate posts for each of the trips so you can see pictures!
The boys have kept really busy this summer! Riley learned how to ride a two wheeler after encouragement from his younger cousin! He asked us to take his training wheels off and a few days later he was zooming around. We didn't have to do any of that running behind and holding the seat stuff. It was a huge accomplishment for Riley! They have had a blast spending so much time with their cousins Ashley and Derrick. My sister in law has taken over watching them while I work a few days a week. This has given my mom a break during the week and I love having Amanda around! These kids are all so close in age it is nice that they can be together to play. Riley and Aiden have also been going to my friends house once a week and we signed all the older boys up for a Soccer camp through the Apex. Aiden didn't really get into it but it was good for him to be out running around with his friends. I really appreciate Jan and all she does with my boys!
Speaking of work.....things have been crazy this summer. I got a new boss in May and my co-worker was moved to a new project which has left me with all of the work that was once split between the two. To say that I have been able to manage it would be a complete lie. It has been tough. I have been able to train some off shore teams to do small peices of my job but there is so much and I am so busy that I can't train really well. In the midst of all of that they moved our office down south by the temple. Which as a daily commute is long, especially when you have kids. Fortunately I have the ability to work at home and work when I want to setting my own schedule. It has been nice to be at home more with the kids this summer. I love that part! Another nice thing about the commute down near the temple is that I could take a long lunch and go to the temple if I wanted to. :D I haven't done that yet, but it is one of my goals. One of my other goals is to go to Part time.....or maybe to just stay at home and raise my kids. That's the real dream!
My "side job" of doing weddings/wedding flowers has really taken off this summer. I had a wedding in July and am helping with decorations for one next weekend and then I have a big one Labor day weekend. It has been fun! I also joined a Networking group with a bunch of really neat ladies that I meet with once a week. They have given me some really good leads and my house seems to always be filled with flowers lately. I also found another networking group that does "mock weddings"! That was a fun adventure. I hope to do a post in September showcasing some of my work! This is my dream job if I was a stay at home mom it would sure help the family income. My cousin Jeremy (my Muse buddy!) helped create some new Business cards and brochures for me. If you are interested check out his site: http://www.jeremycbeck.com/.
Randy has been keeping busy working on our Condo getting it ready for rental. My brother helped replace all the carpet and Randy did the tile in the master bath. It does look pretty nice again and we have tenants moving in today! hooray!
School is about to start soon! We are excited for this school year. Riley is reading really well and I am hopeful that his interest will really peak. The principal called me a few weeks ago and asked if I would consider a position on the PTA Board. I had come "highly recommended". wow. It was flattering. I took some time to think about it and decided to go for it. It will be a good opportunity for me to get to know the staff at Rileys' school and participate in some community programs. Aiden is going to attend preschool a couple of days a week which will be exciting! This preschool has a working farm! I think it will be good for him to start learning in a group environment.
So my last bit of news from the summer is kind of unrelated to summer at all. I have discovered that I have Cold Urticaria, which sounds really interesting, but really it just means that I am literally allergic to the cold. You can google it! So, how does one discover they have this in the middle of summer you ask? Well...it was kind of an over time discovery that peaked a few weeks ago. The initial discovery occurred with an ice pack at the chiropractors office earlier this year. Then I was noticing full torso hives after swimming and the real kicker happened a few weeks ago. I was holding a water bottle in my arm at work and when I went to take a drink I noticed my entire arm was swollen in hives. The next day I was in the flower freezer picking out flowers and I noticed my hand was numb, so I looked down and it had swollen to twice it's normal size. Lovely! Fortunately my face has yet to react. So I went to the doctor and was told I need to take Zyrtec every day and take "precautions" against the cold. Fabulous! I live in Colorado...where it does get cold in the winter. I can't even be in cold rain without reacting now. It is interesting. I am curious to see how winter will be. I had wanted to go skiing this year too....not sure if that's an option for me anymore.

So there you have it! Summertime news! Pictures to come soon!
3 comments:
Hey! I have that too!! It started this last winter. Your's sounds worse then mine though. I get hives (sorta - mostly my skin is just BRIGHT red) and itch like CRAZY (to the point I've almost drawn blood it itches so bad) if I'm out in weather that's below 40 degrees. It also does effect my face....not fun. It turns bright red and I can actually feel it burning as it turns red. It was so bad all the moms in the morning before school were like "what's wrong with your face?" It took 3 trips to the doctors office before they figured it out. At first they told me it was just a "virus". My blood pressure drops really bad though too when it happens. So I have to watch to make sure I don't pass out. My doctor told me to avoid pools that aren't heated too, because my blood pressure could drop and I could pass out in the pool. I know of someone else who has it too and they can't drink cold drinks because it makes their throat swell up. The doctor just told me to dress warmer and take antihistimine meds. The dressing warmer doesn't really help - it just makes it so it takes a few minutes longer before I start turning red and itching. Yay for living in Colorado!
On a happier note - I LOVE the new pictures of you guys. They are amazing!
Cortney I now remember you blogging about this last winter. Crazy that we are both in the extreme minority with this issue! I worry about the blood pressure dropping as well. I just decided I can't go swimming alone to avoid that risk. Randy has to be with me. Do you think the antihistamines work? I still have breakouts even when I take the antihistamine but I don't know if it just needs to build up in my system? So yes...I am not looking forward to winter this year. :(
Your "happy note" made me smile. Thank you! I may be contacting you this winter for idea's other then hibernation to combat this allergy! :D
The antihistimines haven't helped. But I really haven't been very good about taking them consistently. My doctor said that Zyrtec and Claritin (probably spelled them wrong) are just weakened Benedryl so that they are non-drowsy so they don't work as well as Benedryl. But Benedryl makes me sleep....so not helpful. She suggested taking Benedryl before I go to sleep at night so that maybe it would still be working in the morning. Since that was when I was having the most problems. Mostly last winter I just learned I can't sit and chat with the other moms after the kids go in. Although that was hard for me....I love my mommy chat time! So some days I suffered worse then others. It helped just knowing what was wrong, because when I'd be itching away and super red, I'd just be like "oh well it's just the cold". The worst part was when it was happening and I had no idea what was going on.
As I'm sure you remember I usually only wear sandals - even in the winter. So at first I'd put socks and real shoes on, but the itching would still happen just 5 minutes later. So I told Dean, I'm just gonna wear my sandals anyway - it'll be like people who are allergic to cats, but still have them for pets.
I'm hoping that it will have "disappeared" over the summer though, but I have a feeling it probably hasn't.
Post a Comment